Knox Church has resumed safe and limited "In-Person Worship" services.
This document outlines everything you need to know for keeping yourself and others safe and healthy. For those unable to join us for various reasons related to the pandemic or otherwise, please know our worship service will continue to be available online on our Facebook Page, YouTube channel, and this website. Also, if the situation with the pandemic worsens again, plans for 'In-Person Worship' will be reconsidered and possibly postponed.
GUIDELINES FOR ATTENDING: Plans are in place for anyone attending worship to do so safely and in compliance with Ottawa Public Health directives. Please review and be prepared to follow the guidelines below.
- Arrival: To help decrease potential waiting or crowding in the Narthex, arriving early will be very helpful.
- Entry: The Narthex doors will be the only main point of entry. For people in need of a more accessible entrance, the Garden Courtyard Doors will also be available.
- Face Masks: Unless you have a medical condition which prohibits wearing a mask, everyone is required to wear one inside the sanctuary. Before entering, fasten your facemask. If you do not have one, there will be a supply available.
- Hand Sanitizer: Please sanitize your hands upon entry and exit from the sanctuary.
- Sign In: Ottawa Public Health has directed churches to record worship attendees for purposes of contact-tracing. You will be asked to sign-in when you arrive. Contact information will be used ONLY if a need arises for contact-tracing and will be shredded after 30 days.
- Physical Distancing: Maintain a 2 metre distance at all times from others not in your family (or bubble) at all times.
- Seating: Every third church pew is available for seating. Find a seat in one of the pews not roped off.
- Restrooms: Two restrooms are available. Down the North Narthex Stairs across from the Nursery and in Geneva Hall. Please follow all sanitation procedures as noted in Restrooms.
- Exit: At the conclusion of worship, people will be invited to exit, row by row from the back toward the front, through the centre and two outside aisles. Refrain from gathering in the Narthex or outside exit doors.
OTHER CHANGES AFFECTING WORSHIP: Though we will make every effort to have a worshipful environment, our time together will be different than usual, including the following changes in order to help us be together safely:
- Bulletin: There will be no Sunday Bulletin. Any information about the worship service or other announcements will continue to be sent via email and published on our website. If you find it helpful to have a copy of the Sunday liturgy, feel free to print one and take it with you.
- Congregational Singing: Though we will not be singing together, we will incorporate musical elements to remind us of the joy of music in praising God.
- Child Care & Sunday School: Until it is safe to do so, we will not have a Nursery for infants. Our Sunday School leaders are working on plans for Sunday School, and will notify all parents about details. In the meantime, there will be significant effort each week to keep our worship services child-friendly.
- Coffee Hour: Though sipping a cup of coffee or tea (or even sampling some home-made baking) is something many people at Knox enjoy after worship, we’ll have to wait a bit longer for this social part of our Sunday experience.
- Offerings: Instead of passing offering plates during worship, all donations will be received at the exit doors. Online giving options also continue to be available.
OTHER PRECAUTIONS WE HAVE TAKEN: Knox has a Contingency Committee which has been working diligently to help create a Sunday Worship environment where we will be able to meet safely and in compliance with direction from Ottawa Public Health. To that end, in addition to the above-mentioned temporary changes and guidelines for worship, we also want you to know about the following practices:
- Sanitizing: Extra measures will be taken each week to ensure all areas in the sanctuary are thoroughly cleaned.
- Limiting Touch Points: To decrease the amount of spaces people touch, all doors will be opened in advance for entry and exit from the sanctuary and building. For your own safety and that of others, please minimize touching doors and other surfaces.
- Staff/Volunteers Screening: For everyone’s well being, Knox Staff and leadership will complete a self-assessment each Sunday morning. Anyone exhibiting COVID19 symptoms will not be in attendance.
- Removal of Items: Hymnals, Bibles, pencils and welcome brochures have been removed from the pews. If it helps to follow along with readings, consider taking your own Bible or use an app on your own device.