Praise God with the piano, the saxophone, and the upright bass – Psalm 150 (paraphrased). Vespers is the traditional evening prayer service. Jazz Vespers is a modern form of this service that crosses denominational boundaries and demonstrates the unifying power of the Holy Spirit through the music of jazz.
Knox Presbyterian Church started its Jazz Vespers services in 2013 and has been blessed by many gifted Ottawa-based jazz musicians in just a few short seasons. Jazz Vespers at Knox are held at 7 pm, normally on the third Wednesday of each month, September through May. Coming up in 2018/19 are:
- Sep 19 - Peter Woods (sax), Gary Elliott (guitar)
- Oct 17 - Doug Martin (sax), Yves Laroche (piano)
- Nov 21 - Peter Liu (vocals), Scott Poll (sax), Yves Laroche(piano), Tom Denison (bass)
- Dec 19- Mark Ferguson (piano, trombone), Mike Tremblay (sax), John Geggie (bass)
- Jan 16 - James McGowan (piano), Michael Hanna (vocals)
- Feb 20 - John Daapah (piano); Justin Duhaime (guitar)
- Mar 20 - Peter Woods (sax), Mitchell Wright (piano)
- Apr 17 - Don Cummings (Hammond Organ), Scott Warren (percussion)
- May 22* - The London Trio Plus Join us for any or all of our Jazz Vespers 2018-19 season, and please help spread the news about one of Centretown's best kept musical secrets! * * Due to a pre-arranged booking, this year's May Jazz Vespers is on the 4th Wednesday of the month)
Jazz Vespers Samplers:
Improvisation on Psalm 20 by John Dapaah and Roxanne Goodman.
Excerpts from the Sep 21, 2016 service with Peter Woods and Brian Browne
Improvisation on Psalm 57 by Mark Ferguson and Elise Letourneau.
Improvisation on Psalm 27 by Michael Curtis Hanna and James McGowan. Based on Miles Davis' All Blues. Filmed on November 16, 2016 at Knox Church.